A DOT physical is a medical exam the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requires for all commercial drivers who operate vehicles requiring a commercial driver's license (CDL). The exam is performed by a licensed medical examiner certified by the FMCSA, such as our providers at NewMed Immediate Care. With extensive expertise and four locations in Rolling Meadows, Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights, and Schaumburg, Illinois, we are highly equipped to administer your DOT physical.
What to expect during a DOT physical?
Here are the key components you can expect at your DOT physical exam:
- Review of your medical history: including questions about any chronic conditions or medications you take
- Physical examination: includes evaluation of your height, weight, blood pressure, and pulse measurements. vision, hearing, and reflexes
- Urine test: to screen for drug and alcohol use
- Screening for medical conditions: this includes any issues that could impact your ability to operate a commercial vehicle, such as sleep apnea or high blood pressure
If any medical issues are identified during the exam, you may need additional testing or treatment before a medical certificate can be issued.
Tips for preparing for a DOT physical
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for your DOT physical:
- Bring your driver's license, medical history, and a list of any medications you are taking.
- Make sure you get a good night's sleep before the exam to ensure you are well-rested.
- Avoid caffeine and nicotine. These substances can increase your blood pressure and heart rate, impacting your exam results.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing that allows you to move freely during the exam.
How often do I need a DOT physical?
Your DOT exam is valid for up to two years. After that, you will need a new examination. However, you may need more frequent exams if you have certain medical conditions.
At NewMed Immediate Care, we understand the importance of passing your DOT physical exam. Our certified medical examiners are experienced in performing DOT physicals and will ensure you receive a thorough examination. We offer four convenient locations in Rolling Meadows, Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights, and Schaumburg, IL.
For questions about your DOT physical or to schedule your exam, contact the providers at NewMed Immediate Care today, or use the scheduling tool to request an appointment online.